Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Social Justice!

Even though there are students who may not have computers at home, I do not feel like I should put the entire class at a disadvantage and withhold the use of technology so as to not alienate these select few students. Computers and the internet are so prevalent today that even if one doesn’t own a computer at home, there are so many resources where technological needs can be met. There are oodles of public libraries that have computers, and there are computer labs at school. There is so much free public access to computers that there is no excuse to not include it in the curriculum.

I definitely think that I would be doing my students a disservice if I do not use technology in the classroom. By not using technology in the classroom, I am setting my students up to enter college or the workforce untrained in any technological aspects and immediately throwing them into these situations unprepared. I completely agree with the social justice article when it says that “Students without these skills are at a decided disadvantage in terms of future educational and employment opportunities in our global, technological, and information-based society.” (Swain, & Edyburn, 2007). In the working world, getting hired is all about having experience, and if these students are getting no training in technology, they will not be marketable in the workforce.

I think that the social justice article had a lot of useful tips for how to get technology in the classroom: “The Digital Equity Portal has more than 150 strategies and resources for addressing key aspects of the digital divide. Many of the associated issues (access to hardware, software, digital content, connectivity, and support) do have solutions. There are computer refurbishment Web sites where schools can obtain computers and also ways to get deeply discounted computers. There is also a growing collection of free or open source software available. Educators must search for ways to make instructional technologies accessible in the class and a normal part of the learning process.” (Swain, & Edyburn, 2007) I think that there are so many ways that we as teachers can try to help out students who do not have access to technology outside of school. It might even be something as simple as taking time during lunch or after school to help students who do not have access to technology at home.



Swain, C, & Edyburn, D. (2007). Social justice choice or necessity?. Learning and leading with technology, 14-18.

2 comments:

  1. I would say that we agree every step of the way. I especially like the incorporation of the 150 strategies for incorporating the resources. The idea of not preparing our students for such a major component of society is unthinkable. I am glad we see eye to eye on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%. Students have so many options on ways to access technology that they have no reason not to use it in the classroom. When the article talked about disadvantaging students by not using technology and not preparing them for college or the workforce I can't agree with you more. I think our views on this topic are very similar.

    ReplyDelete